Sunday, September 11, 2011

J.C. Romero - Week of 9/5/2011-9/9/2011

Hey guys! So, this Tuesday will be my first day participating at my service learning site. I will be working with Catholic Charities' Adult Education Program, but focusing on computer literacy and GED students. I'm kind of nervous, but excited at the same time. I have served as a volunteer ESL instructor before and have done so for many years, but this will be quite different because I won't necessarily be working with foreign students, but with adults from our own community. I'm most excited to hear personal stories from these people and I hope to serve as a role model/mentor to those who really want to succeed in life. Something that I often don't tell people is that I, myself, am a GED graduate. At first, it wasn't something that I was proud of. However, I had to overcome many obstacles and struggles and thankfully through all of my hardships, I have been able to become a strong individual with so many goals-- and I hope to promote that and use that to help "guide" these people.

Apparently from what I discussed with the Adult Education Coordinator, the computer literacy program is brand new program and I will be the first instructor. I will also help in developing a new curriculum for the program and I am REALLY excited to be doing that since education is one of my main areas of academic interest! I think that this semester will be a great one considering that I am working in a field that I am very passionate about.

I hope that everyone has a rad first day of working at your sites! I'm sure y'all will do an awesome job! See you on Wednesday.

Peace,
J.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment