Thursday, November 10, 2011

Zen of Green Onions

I suppose I am cutting the green onions so that New Orleanians without regular access to fresh foods can have the health (and soul) benefits of fresh, healthy, locally grown foods. That is the big picture. Also, it is quite meditative to do repetitive motions like that for periods of time.

When I was living on the Ashram in Virginia we all had to work in the kitchen or housekeeping a few hours a week, I loved working the cutting veggies shift. You could meditate while you worked! It was good for the soul. Working in the garden is also good for the soul, and that is one of the things NOLA Green Roots provides garden members- the chance to do some meditative communing with good ol' mother nature.

I spent today harvesting a ton of arugula from the Wise Words garden in Mid City. It is beautiful, there are tons of beds bursting with stuff and a huge chicken coop with little ladies prancing all around. The arugula spelled wonderful as I harvested it. My back was killing me in about 1 minute though, and I thought about people who have to do backbreaking labor like harvesting all day everyday. I thought about migrant workers, and sharecroppers back in the day. I said a little prayer (or whatever you might want to call it) giving gratitude for all the amazing opportunities I have had in life, and tried to send a little positive energy out into the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment